At a press conference this morning (March 14) at The Forum in downtown Binghamton, Broome County Arts Council (BCAC) Executive Director Nancy Barno Reynolds announced the awarding of $222,698 in United Cultural Fund (UCF) grants for 2018.
That amount represents 85 percent of the $268,774 received during the 2018 UCF campaign. The remaining 15 percent was retained by the BCAC for administration.
Five major arts organizations will receive General Operating Support (GOS) Grants totaling $209,572. Fourteen community non-profit organizations and individual artists will receive project grants totaling $13,126. Funded projects include poetry, art exhibits and preservation, choral concerts, photography, film festivals and theatrical productions.
Last year, UCF grantees collectively returned more than $4 million dollars to Broome County’s economy. Reynolds said. Since 1987, the UCF has distributed $10,207,020 to the arts in Broome County.
Major donors, whose charitable gifts help make UCF grants possible, include the Stewart W. & Willma C. Hoyt Foundation, Broome County Government, the Dr. G. Clifford & Florence B. Decker Foundation, the Miller S. & Adelaide S. Gaffney Foundation, the IBM Corporation, the Security Mutual Life Insurance Co. of New York, BGM Foundation, Tyrone Muse, Lyubov and Dorollo Nixon, Jr., Columbian Financial Group, NBT Bank, and other local businesses and individuals who believe in the value of arts investment.
GOS Grants
Binghamton Philharmonic, $60,000
Endicott Performing Arts Center, $19,786
Goodwill Theater, $16,786
Roberson Museum & Science Center, $60,000
Tri-Cities Opera, $53,000.
Project Grants
Binghamton Center for Writers: $1,000 for The Binghamton Poetry Project
Binghamton Community Orchestra: $776 for the Southern Tier Music Teachers Association’s Concerto Competition Winners Concert
Binghamton Downtown Singers: $1,000 for their spring concert
Binghamton Theater Organ Society: $1,000 for “Pop Pipes: Waltzes, Tangos, and Marches”
Binghamton Youth Symphony: $1,000 for its 2018 season annual spring concert
Cooperative Extensions Association in the State of New York — Broome County: $600 for “Much Ado in the Garden”
Kopernik Society of Broome County: $1,000 for “3rd EXPOSURE: A Screening of Art Films with Astronomical Images”
The Nanticoke Valley Historical Society: $1,000 for “The 1938 Federal Art Project in NYC Commissioned Paintings of J. Ralph Ingalls School, Maine, N.Y.”
Phelps Mansion Museum: $1,000 for “Chamber Music at the Phelps”
Scott Danzig: $1,000 for an original film production entitled Success
SPARE Productions: $750 for Inherit the Wind
SRO Productions III: $1,000 for Titanic, The Musical
Summer Savoyards: $1,000 for The Pirates of Penzance
Vestal Museum: $1,000 for “The People Who Create A Place – Vestal’s Personality”