Tioga Arts Council (TAC) is seeking artwork submissions for its March 2020 exhibition, “The World Split Open: Artistic Responses to the Women’s Rights Movement & Its Legacy.”
The title is adapted from poem “Käthe Kollwitz” by Muriel Rukeyser.
What would happen if one woman told the truth about
The world would split open
This poem not only celebrates an important female artist and activist, Käthe Kollwitz, but it also acknowledges the need to tell truths, to share stories, and to make art in order to change the world.
TAC invites artists, both men and women, to submit entries for this special juried art exhibition. Below is basic criteria for submissions:
– Artists may submit up to two pieces of artwork
– Artists must be 18 years of age or older
– Artwork must focus on some aspect of the women’s rights movement, historical or contemporary, or explore truths related to womanhood. Please include a statement of 100 words or less as to how your piece relates to the theme.
– The committee will accept submissions from November through February 15, 2020 only.
– Email submission: Visual artists may submit up to two submissions of artwork per artist by emailing the following:
– Artist Name
– Artist Phone Number & Email
– High-resolution image, medium, title, and price for each work submitted
– Mail-in submission: Visual artists may submit photos, slides, USB drives or CDs for proposed artwork (up to two submissions per artist). Send materials to Tioga Arts Council, c/o Christina Di Stefano, 179 Front Street, Owego, NY 13827.
– Remember each submission must be accompanied by a brief statement explaining how it relates to the theme of the show.
– Accepted artwork must be dropped off by Saturday, February 22, by 4:00 p.m.
– Note: There is no entry fee to participate. We want to allow ample time for artists who want to participate and encourage a wide variety of submissions from regional artists.
The exhibition will open on First Friday, March 6, 2020. It will run concurrently with a series of other exhibitions, activities, and events that celebrate the 100th anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment. The exhibition will be open March 6 – 28, 2020 at 179 Front Street in Owego.
Stay tuned for updates, artistic prompts, and other activities that relate to this exhibition. If you have questions, email email@example.com