NDP Production Grants provide funding to artists/companies to create new dance works and touring subsidies to the U.S. organizations who bring those works to their communities.
About NDP Production Grants
Production Grants are awarded to 20 dance projects annually through a competitive two-stage application process. Artists/choreographers and/or companies apply to receive a package of support that includes:
- $45,000 for the creation of a new work
- $10,000 in general operating support for the artist/company
- $11,500 for production residency and/or community engagement plans
- up to $35,000 to support a U.S.* tour** of the work
Creation funds and general operating funds are paid directly to the artist/company or their fiscal sponsor to cover expenses related to making the new dance work during the creation period (defined as the period from the receipt of funds to the premiere of the work). Works may not premiere before October 1, 2021.
Production residency and/or community engagement funds are also paid directly to the artist/company or their fiscal sponsor and may only be used to
- Cover the costs of activities that support the full realization of the new dance work during a residency experience, and/or
- Cover costs related to deepening relationships with existing communities or engaging new communities via activities directly related to the new work.
The $35,000 reserved for each work’s U.S. tour is distributed by the artist/company to U.S.-based organizations to subsidize a presentation of the NDP-funded work, and must be used during the work’s NDP touring period.
The NDP touring period for projects that receive a 2021 Production Grant:
- January 1, 2022 – December 31, 2025
* NEFA defines U.S. as all 50 of the United States, as well as Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and American Samoa.
**NEFA acknowledges that the definition of touring continues to change, however we remain steadfast in supporting artists/companies in however they choose to share their work. This may be via safe in-person gatherings or virtually.